Monday, November 23, 2009

Pumpkin Pie vs. Santa: One Marriage's Epic Battle

I beg your forgiveness. I have been noticeably absent the last few weeks. Part of the reason I have not posted is:

a) No one has shared any additional stories to post.
b) I have been in too much of a funk as of late to post my own.

Why were you in a funk, Dee? I hope is what you're asking. Why reader, first, I thank you for your concern. Second, it is the time of year that the never ending arguement I have with hubby stirs up. Yes, after November 12 of every year since our marriage up until the end of Thanksging Day. When is a person allowed to begin openly celebrating Christmas?

Having grown up in Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated in October on what those in the USA call Columbus Day. Let's face it, the man did not find North America and the ground is too cold in late November to bring in the crops. That's why Thanksgiving is logically celebrated in October in Canada.

Now, we don't start the celebrations then because Rememberance Day hasn't passed yet. November 11th must be kept solemn. Unlike here in the USA where Veteran's Day is an excuse for mattress and furniture sales. We pin the red felt poppies onto the dusty lapels of the winter coats we just brought out of the closet. We observe a moment of silence at 11 am and close all the banks. But...November 12...IT'S ON MUTHA!

Sadly, in my hometown, I missed the 105th annual Santa Claus Parade. A fond memory of many Torontonians upbringing. It was on November 15th this year. Christmas has long been in full swing. Yet, my dear loving hubby has a fit when asked what he wants for Christmas. I tell him that I'm in full on Christmas mode and he doesn't care.

Before you think he's insensitive (which he definitely isn't) this is his side. His claim is that holidays are to be celebrated in order. In the USA we haven't reached Thanksgiving so it's way too early to be talking about Christmas. I understand that but how do I not get into the Christmas spirit that organically comes over me every November?

So, I again apologize for not writing sooner. But the process of squashing the overwhelming holiday spirit is exhausting. I want to throw sparkles and tinsel on everything I see. I doodle snowmen, pine trees and little Santa's Workshops while at work. I'm in a desperate state. But don't worry about me. Come Black Friday I won't be shopping but breaking out the storage boxes filled with decorations.

November 27th Christmas is on Bitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment